Frequently Asked Questions

See our most common questions related to the Holland boat registration.


No, the Dutch ICP registration are not the same as a FLAG registration. The ICP registration in Holland is however accepted in most of Europe as an ownership document with the exception of Portugal and recently Italy. If you prefer to have an actual flag registration we can take care of this for you by registering your boat in Holland with an actual flag registration or ZEEBRIEF as it is called. This is an actual flag registration that is valid worldwide. However, we recommend to use the Poland (EU) or Delaware (USA) flag registrations. Both these jurisdictions offer a fast and inexpensive real flag registration that is valid in Europe and the rest of the world.

It is valid in most European waters for private use. We do recommend that clients that use their vessel in Portugal or Italy register with our Polish flag registration service. In Portugal, it is clear that the authorities do not accept the Dutch ICP and in some ports of Italy, we have recently heard that the local authorities were no longer accepting the Dutch ICP registration. Although it is currently not everywhere in Italy, we recommend our clients to register in Poland as this registration is an actual flag registration and is valid worldwide and for the life of the boat with no renewal fees! See details here Poland Yacht Registration

  1. EU passport OR European ID card *if registering as company can be non - EU passport
  2. Proof of ownership of the vessel - this can be a sales agreement or insurance policy - as long as the hull and engine numbers are shown on it.

Yes you just put the Ship name when you fill in the registration form online.

Yes The ICP Dutch Boat Registration accepts any European base port. This base port has to be indicated on your vessel.

The Spanish law different form other European countries states that any resident in Spain should pay his taxes on his vessel. But there are several different cases:  For a new boat the tax has to be paid, stating that the vessel will not sail under the Spanish boat registration.  If the boat is on the 6a list and no taxes have been paid due to tax exemption on this vessel, the tax would have to be paid when changing to a foreign boat registration.  If the boat was registered under the Spanish boat registration and taxes were paid , it is very important to keep the documents as this tax only has to be paid once and you need the documents to prove it.  If the Boat was registered under the Spanish boat registration before the Impuesto de matriculacion was established, the tax department considers the tax paid.

The Netherlands do not tax the ICP Dutch Boat Registration, nor are there yearly fees, just a biannual renewal fee.

There are no navigation areas under the Dutch legislation like in some other countries. For Home build vessels/ Amateur contrsuction they recognize Cat A,B,C or D, but as the category doesn’t limit the navigation distance, it is the responsibility of the builder to know until how far they can sail out.

The Dutch ICP is open for EU citizens or passport holders of Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Lichtenstein. However we can also offer ICP services for non eu citizens by setting up a UK LTD. This process take just 24 hours and costs 349 EUR for the first time setup and 249 annually. The ltd will own the vessel thus you do not need to pay any taxes or do any government filings. Once the Ltd has been setup a bill of sale will be created and then we’ll register the Uk ltd owner of the vessel and you’ll receive your ICP Dutch boat registration 3 days later.

Yes, it can only be used for non-commercial purposes.

Rescue Equipment

  • Life vest/jacket : one per person on board
  • Lifebuoy with light, in case of night operating
  • Effective distress signals, including flares

Nautical Instruments
  • Magnetic compass
  • Navigation lights
  • Boat horn and manual depth sounder

Armament Equipment
  • Anchor, hammer and boat hook
  • Bilge pump or bailer
  • Sufficient number of oars with oarlocks
  • Minimum of 20 m of rope for usual operations
  • Waterproof electrical torch allowing to give light signals
  • Fire extinguisher (for motorboats)
  • Complete sails kit (for sailboats)

First Aid Kit
  • Waterproof box with necessary bandages and other usual pharmaceutical products

Stay Connected