In Holland, there are 2 registration types, the standard registration which is valid in all European waters and the worldwide registration. The first type is simple to obtain via us in 3-5 days at a cost of 299 Euro but the Dutch worldwide registration is very complicated and costly at a base fee around 1450 Euro. This fee does not include the ships survey which has to be done often in a foreign country and all cost will be paid by the client making it a very costly and lengthy procedure. Most of our clients use their vessel in European waters only and for them the standard Dutch Yacht Registration is perfect.
However, for those clients that want to use their vessel in INTERNATIONAL WATERS we recommend registering under Belgium flag. The Belgium flag registration is valid all around the world and at a total cost of only 399 Euro via us!
What are the advantages of sailing under the Belgian flag?
- VALID WORLDWIDE
- There is no limit on navigation distances, the limit is the design category of your boat (A, B, C or D)
- Limited security equipment
- No Inspection
- There are no yearly taxes or expenses, except for a one-time tax when registering the boat.
- Insurance, most insurance companies accept the Belgium flag, so you can still use your favourite insurance
- You can choose any European homeport for your vessel
- No need to be a resident in Belgium
- Register in 2 weeks
- Renewal is every 5 years
How much is the registration tax in Belgium?
This is a one-time tax, on the first time register to be paid directly to the Belgium ministry of finance upon request and it depends on the age and length of the boat, for example for boats under 7,5 meters its 0 EUR. For boats, older than 10 years and over 7,5 meters it starts from 61.50 EUR up to a maximum for new boats of 2478 EUR.
What documents are needed to register under the Belgium Flag
- Proof / Certificate of nationality and residency
- Copy of your passport or national identity card
- Copy of proof of ownership of your boat (Invoice, bill of sale, notary act…)
- Cancelation of your previous flag (if applicable)
- A copy of the EC declaration of conformity for boats built after 1998 and for the engines built after 2006
- A picture of the side of the boat, or jet ski,
- A picture of the HIN number, or hull number
- A picture of the CE plate of the boat
- A picture of the serial number of the engine(s) if applicable
- Online form correctly filled in
- Authorisation letter signed
For Imported boats: Copy of the EC declaration of conformity Proof / Certificate of payment of the EU VAT
For home build boats: Invoices of the main elements of the boat, like hull, mast, engine,.. An insurance report Declaration/statement in French/Dutch that you are the builder, stating the model of boat, construction time with start and end date, address of the location of construction and a drawing reference.